Sunday, October 24, 2010

Polite Notice: Window shopping is easy


Lots of people have witnessed this around the world, but there’s something I like about street vendors. It’s like browsing the internet from the comfort of a car seat, or window shopping without walking. The vendor comes up to the window and shows you what she’s got and if you’re not interested, you move up. In Nairobi, there’s a stretch of Peponi Road near Westgate Mall where you can get all kinds of interesting things from vendors right in traffic. These include:

-         pet rabbits
-         puppies
-         skirts
-         peanuts
-         wire contraptions that look like TV antennas
-         screwdriver sets
-         kitchen knives
-         hand-made banana leaf note cards
-         newspapers (naturally)
-         paintings, batiks
-         pirated DVDs
-         plastic pinwheels
-         Kenyan flags

I know one person who has bought a rabbit (not clear whether it will need to visit a veterinarian and its gender also remains a mystery). I generally walk everywhere, so “window shopping” from the sidewalk is really more like having things thrust under my nose with expectant salesmen telling me they’ll give me a good price for the banana leaf sculpture/wire motorcycle toy/silkscreen art/pirated DVDs. I almost always say 'No thank you' but it's kind of fun to go through the ritual every day on my way home from work, otherwise I wouldn't pass anything really interesting. It's easy to window shop.