Sunday, October 24, 2010

Polite Notice: Don't drink the tap water?


The tap water here seems fine. I boil it for five minutes and drink it, use it for cooking and brushing my teeth and I haven’t gotten sick or died (yet).

I stopped using bottled water when I realized a) it’s absurd to buy water in such large quantities! What did they build water pipes for then? b) I can’t lug 5L bottles of water home all the time from the supermarket. I walk everywhere here. c) those large plastic jugs seem awfully wasteful. I don’t know whether there’s any kind of recycling system in place for them, so I figure I won’t even put any into the system.


I know lots of expats who don’t even bother boiling the tap water before using it to drink or cook or brush their teeth. One day if I’m feeling especially fearless I will brush my teeth with water straight from the tap. For now, I’m a big kuku (chicken).